When a Sock is Not Just a Sock!
For many years, like everyone else I’m sure, I bought bundles of socks that were inexpensive and seemed absolutely fine for what I needed. They were sometimes thicker for winter and thinner for my tighter shoes but always easy to find and easy on my purse. The true focus of my foot care at that time was the quality of my shoes which I replaced just about 4 times a year, I could always tell when they were about shot when my shins and feet started to really ache. Then about 6 years ago while training for a marathon, I had a friend introduce me to Smart Wool socks. In the words of my teenager, OMG! This is the exact point in time when I realized that any old sock is NOT a SmartWool sock. I can’t lie, I am a stickler to this variety, and not just the brand but the no show kind with light cushion (not that ultra light cushion stuff, WAY too thin!)
Simply put, from personal experience, this is how these socks have changed the health of my feet.
- My feet and shins do not hurt as quickly which has let me run better
- The cushy feeling in my socks makes every pair of my shoes feel even better
- I don’t have any more blisters from running! This really may trump all the other good things since I started wearing these socks. No more blisters, bunion yes, blisters no :).
- Shopping for me is super easy for major celebrations…buy me more socks!
- My feet stay dryer due to the breath-ability of wool.
I know they are expensive per pair, coming in at around $17, yikes! That is why my husband buys them for my birthday! … and Christmas, New Years, St. Patrick’s, Summer Solstice, Halloween…
Bottom line, as with all the things in my life that require a healthier version of the more popular, they are worth it to me because they keep me healthier and happier. I challenge you to a better pair of socks and happier feet too, you will thank yourself and curse yourself for doing this. You may never be the same again!
- Written by Erin Oprea
- Published: 26 December 2014